I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Thursday, July 14, 2005

The no. 2 salesman in Singapore

After taking the constipation medication for almost two weeks, i've finally seen improvement in my bowel movements. For the first time in my thirty years of life, i managed to have bowel movements everyday for seven consecutive days. Wow, the medication sure works. I think the RM800+ was definitely worth the price.


Since i moved back to JB, i haven't had the chance to weigh myself. I figured that i can't keep using my pants as the estimation of my weight, so i decided to get a digital weighing scale but i didn't know how much one usually costs. I gave myself a budget of SGD60, thinking that it should be enough since those conventional ones are selling at around SGD20+.

I saw from TV that there's this rather well-known fitness equipment store that carries a few types of weighing scales. I knew that there's a branch in Causeway Point so 贝 and i went there yesterday planning to get the scale from there. It was around 8pm+ and there wasn't any customer in the store. We were greeted by the only salesman in the store. He was about 5'6" tall and looked rather thin. He looked like he was in his early thirties but the top of his head was already bald. He wore a T-shirt and pants with a posture that was a bit slouching. He wasn't one of those people who would give you an impression of being very confident or charismatic.

We told him that we were looking for a digital weighing scale. He showed us where it was and we saw that the price was tagged at SGD99! Wow, i never expected a digital one to cost this much. I told the guy immediately that it was too pricey and out of my budget. Before i could even continue saying anything further, the weirdest thing i've ever encountered with a salesperson happened...

He firstly told us that since his boss wasn't around, he could give us a good bargain that he was sure we would be satisfied with. He then started to brag about how good a salesman he was. He said that he was a very successful salesman; in fact, he was so good that if he claimed to be the no. 2 salesman in Singapore, no one would dare to be no. 1. He then said that he was gifted with the talent in closing sales and it came just so natural to him because he seemed to have this connection with people that made him an outstanding salesman. He said he was confident that he could close this deal with us and he wanted us to see how he actually did it... He kept on rambling about this for at least 5 minutes and never even once talked about the product or tried to sell it to us. For a while, i almost thought that i was here to buy a salesman and not a weighing scale.

贝 and i, being polite people as we are, didn't know how to stop him without being rude. All we could do were just kept smiling and pretended to be interested in what he was saying. Finally, he has had enough of his boasting and told us that he would now close the sales with us with a discounted price. He said he would give us a VERY good price and asked us not to bargain further. Then he revealed the price to be... tada ... SGD90. I almost wanted to roll my eyes in front of him. After all the braggadocio, all we got was a pathetic SGD9 discount?! Did we look like people who would actually jump over the moon for just getting a lousy SGD9 discount? DUH!!!

I told him that this price was still out of our budget. He then wanted to know what was our budget (i thought any salesman would know that this should be the first question to ask if the customer has already made it clear that there was a budget). I purposely told him a lower amount of SGD50. He then said he could sell me a weighing scale at SGD49, but it was the conventional type instead of the digital one.

贝 and i have had enough of all these nonsense and we politely declined and wanted to leave. Yet, he didn't want to let us go. He insisted that he has indeed clinched the deal even though we didn't buy anything (HUH? What kind of logic was that?). He asked us if we agreed that he was the best salesman in S'pore after seeing how he made his sales (double HUH?). I was doing my best not to be rude even though i could feel myself running out of patience, so i said, "if you think you are, then you are loh!" He wasn't happy with this kind of reply and wanted to go on. I think even the most polite person in the world would have lost his patience by now. I gave him a stern face and told him that we were rushing and then just left the store.

I've never ever come across any salesman as ridiculous and annoying as him. His image of himself was so inflated that i strongly doubt his sanity. Why the heck did he keep talking about himself? And why did he think that it was so important for us to get our weighing scale from the No. 1 or No. 2 (or whatever ranking) salesman in S'pore? It's not as if i'm gonna take him home or what... all i care was just to get a bloody weighing scale that is reliable and lasting. And if he was indeed the best salesman in S'pore, would he be stuck in this small fitness equipment store, doing nothing but waiting to jump at every chance to harass the customers with all his balderdash and insisting them to endorse him as the best? I bet he has chased away all other customers too.

Well, so much for the No. 2 salesman in S'pore. I think he should call himself the No. 1 braggart in S'pore instead.

Labels:

A toxic body results in numerous ailments. Millions of Americans suffer from arthritis, migraine headaches, obesity, allergies, acid reflux disease, high cholesterol, and heart ailments. All of these problems are rooted in toxins, metatoxins, and the debilities that result from an unclean digestive system.

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, July 12, 2005 @ 9:12 pm: 豆浆油条 (the song, not the food)
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 @ 2:24 am: Desperate for broadband connection
Friday, July 08, 2005 @ 3:52 pm: My Top Ten List of Most Non-Sensical 欠扁问答题
Friday, July 08, 2005 @ 3:28 am: London to host the Games of the XXX Olympiad in 2012
Thursday, July 07, 2005 @ 2:39 am: Driving in Singapore -- Part I
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 @ 2:42 am: Why my ass hurts after the colonoscopy
Monday, July 04, 2005 @ 1:53 am: Bill Gates Live! -- Part II
Saturday, July 02, 2005 @ 6:48 pm: Bill Gates Live! -- Part I
Thursday, June 30, 2005 @ 2:59 am: Blur like sotong
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 @ 3:10 am: I don't...