I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Thursday, October 06, 2005

What a wonderful world

The thing about having to work a short week and then followed by a full week is that i kinda feel tired when it's only Wednesday.  


For months, the newspaper is just full of those news that kinda make you wonder what's becoming of this world. Natural calamities and man-made catastrophes. Mother nature killing people and people killing people. Tragedy, sorrow, agony, injustice... Sometimes i really wonder if the sole purpose for us to live in this world is not to inflict pain on others and to suffer the pain inflicted upon us.

Whenever i have such depressing thoughts, i would think of the song "What a Wonderful World". With the sweet melody and beautiful lyrics accompanied by Louis Armstrong's mesmerizing voice, the song never fails to move me and make me go "awwww...".

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD    (George David Weiss and Bob Thiele)

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands, saying "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh yeah


I think what's so magical about this song is that we can almost picture the image of that world in our minds -- the blue sky, the white clouds, flowers blooming, birds singing, people smiling, children laughing... you know, the image of the perfect fairyland where everyone just lives happily ever after.

Yet, we all know that this world that we are living in is far from perfect. So, i've modified the lyrics to more appropriately depict the real world:

WHAT A COLD DREADFUL WORLD    (PinPin)

I see terrors in green, red bombing too
I see the doom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a cold dreadful world

I see devils of blue and ills of white
The blighted cursed day, the dark scary night
And I think to myself, what a cold dreadful world

The colours of great sorrow, so ghastly in the sty
Are also on the river with corpses floating by
I see foes fight for lands, saying "Why don't you die?"
They're really saying "I hate you"

I hear babies crying, in betided woe
They'll die in war without any hope
And I think to myself, what a cold dreadful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a cold dreadful world

Oh fu*k

Haha... Pin Pin that was super innovative. And profound.. haha

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, October 05, 2005 @ 3:35 am: Trivia of my uneventful day
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 @ 3:50 am: A trip to strawberry land -- The unpleasant incide...
Monday, October 03, 2005 @ 1:42 pm: A trip to strawberry land -- The unpleasant incide...
Sunday, October 02, 2005 @ 6:59 pm: A trip to strawberry land -- Day 3
Saturday, October 01, 2005 @ 6:27 pm: A trip to strawberry land -- Day 2 (II)
Friday, September 30, 2005 @ 3:53 am: A trip to strawberry land -- Day 2 (I)
Thursday, September 29, 2005 @ 3:30 am: A trip to strawberry land -- Day 1
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 @ 3:50 am: True self manifested in the first reaction
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 @ 2:52 am: A trip to strawberry land -- Overture
Friday, September 23, 2005 @ 6:43 pm: Mmmm, strawberries...