I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Monday, August 27, 2007

Looking out for a career

So i was attending an IT course from last Wednesday to Friday. The course content was dry but useful nonetheless. I'm not too sure how i did on the certification exam. I reckon passing it shouldn't be a problem (the passing mark is 65%), but i just can't gauge how well i did. I'll know the result one month later.

Received a call from a recruiter regarding a job opportunity. She was the one who got me the last job, and now there's a job that seems to fit my profile. After getting more info from her on the job and company, i'm not interested at all. I did update my resume with her and tell her to keep a lookout for me.

I'll be a lot more choosy this time round. It was, and never is, my intention of changing job all the time. I really wanna join a company where i can build my career and not merely doing a job. So i'm hoping to get into a company with a conducive working environment, as well as a job that's fulfilling and allows me to learn and contribute (of course not forgetting about a good pay package too!).

Well, i guess that's an ideal for everyone. The problem is that most of the time we wouldn't know what we've gotten into until we've worked there for a while. Then if we aren't happy working there and decide to move on, that's another job on the resume and we will be another step closer to become a job hopper.

Sigh, is it really wrong to seek for something we want rather than accepting shit just because the society widely believes that putting up with nonsense is a virtue called tolerance?

Aside from the consideration of changing jobs too often, i'm also thinking about the possible advancement i could have in this company. I know that i'm valued here. The post i hold now may not have a manager title in it, it's classified as a managerial rank in the company. My boss has mentioned that i could look forward to being promoted in two years time. If i really stay on, i could probably finally get myself up in the corporate ladder. If i were to change job now, it's highly possible that i can only get back to the normal executive level and need more time to work myself up.

So, the question is, do i wanna be the best among the worst, or a mediocre among the best?

Anyway, i'm keeping my options open. Let's just hope that i can find a good career, or even better, a good career finds me.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, August 22, 2007 @ 3:06 am: Going on course
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 @ 3:14 am: The past weekend
Sunday, August 19, 2007 @ 3:16 am: Another treasure hunt
Friday, August 17, 2007 @ 2:56 am: Postal code in Singapore
Thursday, August 16, 2007 @ 2:52 am: Dad
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 @ 2:48 am: Still in bad mood
Monday, August 13, 2007 @ 2:22 am: The past week
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 @ 3:01 am: Alone
Monday, August 06, 2007 @ 2:54 am: Need for change
Friday, August 03, 2007 @ 2:46 am: Spam