I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm NOT a job hopper

After one week of agonizing wait, i was thinking that i wasn't selected for the job. Then i received a call yesterday in the morning for a second interview, which was arranged to be at 6pm because the interviewer was unavailable for the whole day.

So i left office at around 4pm, parked my car at the HDB multi-storey parking lot near Jurong Point, took MRT to City Hall, and walked all the way from the station to the far end of Suntec City. Then i realized that there was quite a distance from the station to that particular office block. It took me 20 minutes and i was walking rather briskly. I can't imagine doing that everyday if i were to work there and commute by MRT.

There were two interviewers this time. Initially i was told by the HR personnel that a female Director would be interviewing me, so i didn't expect another guy to be there. Judging from their age through their looks, i guess the company used the title Director rather loosely. It was probably the equivalent of Senior Manager.

I'm not sure how i did for the interview, but my guess was that i didn't do too well. It was impossible to tell what kind of answers were considered the right answers for the kind of questions they asked:

For all your previous and current experiences in the various job functions, what were the challenges you had faced and how did you overcome them?

There are users at the shop floor who have been with this company for a long time and extremely experienced in their job. They have been doing the things they do for a very long time and you have to implement a system that would change the way they work. How would you handle such challenges?


And the most mind-blowing question i found was this:

Do you think you would have stayed with your current company if the case didn't happen? The reason i asked this question is because i see that you change job every two years.

And i asked the interviewer back, "So you are thinking that i'm a job hopper?"

He then said, "Well, it's hard not to think so looking at your resume."

Now, that reminds me of the Dilbert comics from the last two days (which i subscribed to and receive in my mailbox everyday).



(source: dilbert.com)

No, i'm NOT that bunny. I don't have gigantic rabbit ears.

I'm not a job hopper. I totally resent to be thought as such.  

But then, it's true that i've not hit the 3-year mark before in any of my previous (and current) employment. I guess i only have myself to blame, and that's probably one of the biggest obstacles for me to get a new job.

Hmm, perhaps i should stay on for another year before looking for another job. Then it would break the 3 years record.

Yet, seriously, i'm not, i'm NOT, I'M NOT a job hopper. Every company i went to, i had never thought of working there for only two years and then leave. I always hoped to build a career there, but somehow things just didn't go as planned due to various reasons. Yah, I didn't just leave because i felt like so. There was always a valid reason why i left a company.

Oh wait, i guess all job hoppers always have valid reasons for not staying on.

Ok, never mind that. I don't think i need to justify anything.

I AM NOT A JOB HOPPER. Just because i say so.

Labels:

Hehe....hmmm.. having those two huge ears on you would make you look like a Playmate...hehehe.

I was just thinking of those exact two dilbert strips when i saw your post title. What's wrong with job-hopping, anyway?

To the employees, there's nothing wrong in moving on to something better. But to the employers, it's an entirely different story.

And, i repeat, i'm NOT a job hopper, with or without those two gigantic bunny ears!

I dun think your are a job hopper though you have been hopping the past few years. But those happens in your early twenties. You probably didn't quite know what you wanted. Your degree was in HR and Admin and you match your first job in this field, that's nothing wrong with it,...subsequently your talent was appreciated by a big MNC, and most people would give it a shot and later on you found out that you didn't (still dun) suit that line and came out so that you do not have to waste both parties' time and money...then you finalily realised that your interest is in IT and you plunge in! Hat-off for this move. I thought that's a merit for what a IT or science people should have i.e. dare to change and plunge in! And since then you have been in IT till now. The issue was situational not personal! You know what you want now and you want to excel in where you interest is. I think a good employer should appreciate this and give the candidate an opportunity to prove it.

However, if i were the interviewer, I'd have asked the same question too, but I'd like to hear with open mind what would the interviewee tell me to convince me he/she is good rather than posting a judging statement.

Well, i would ask the same too if i were the interviewer, so i didn't hold any grudges for him asking that. But it was indeed a tough one for me to justify, and i hope i managed to convince him somehow.

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, August 02, 2006 @ 12:41 pm: What we bought last evening
Tuesday, August 01, 2006 @ 1:40 pm: Road rage
Monday, July 31, 2006 @ 1:28 pm: The past weekend
Friday, July 28, 2006 @ 5:01 pm: Unbearable financial people
Thursday, July 27, 2006 @ 12:38 pm: Same hair conditioners that are different
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 @ 2:26 am: The job interview
Monday, July 24, 2006 @ 4:52 pm: An MSN chat log
Monday, July 24, 2006 @ 12:54 pm: The final golf lesson
Friday, July 21, 2006 @ 2:37 am: A new Vidal Sassoon hair straightener
Thursday, July 20, 2006 @ 2:44 am: I'll (still) follow my heart