I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Friday, July 15, 2005

My blog sucks in Firefox

It's the fourth day into the stock count and there's no news about discovering any snakes or other creatures in the company. I was relief and keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the stock count. I wouldn't wanna stumble on a snake or something in the parking lot.


I'm a proponent of minimalism in Web site design. Unless it's a Web portal such as Yahoo! or E-commerce sites such as Amazon or eBay, i think the design should be kept clean and uncluttered as much as possible. It's even more so for those that are meant for reading (e.g. a blog) because the main purpose is for people to read the text; to make the reading as easy as possible should be the aim of the design.

Precisely because of this belief, i spent quite some time looking for a blog design that i would consider simple and serve its main purpose. I don't fancy those designs that enclose the main text in a box because it shows very little text per screen with a lot of unused spaces and hence makes reading difficult. As such, it was rather hard to find a design that suits what i want because most of the designs (even those standard ones provided by Blogger) box-up the text.

I feel that the current design i'm using conforms to the idea of minimalism while still not too bad aesthetically. However, i've unintentionally violated one of the Web site usability guidelines -- i didn't cater for cross-browsers! When i was doing up the template, i tested it only with IE, forgetting that other browsers may render my Web pages differently.

This is how my site looks with IE 6.0:



and this is how it looks with Firefox 1.0.4:



Based on the Web counter that i've put on my site recently, there are quite a number of Firefox users reading my blog.



They must be thinking how my design sucks! Oh dear, i gotta spend time fixing it, or maybe change the design all together. With my habit of procrastination, i hope i can get to it soon...

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Thursday, July 14, 2005 @ 2:24 am: The no. 2 salesman in Singapore
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 @ 9:12 pm: 豆浆油条 (the song, not the food)
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 @ 2:24 am: Desperate for broadband connection
Friday, July 08, 2005 @ 3:52 pm: My Top Ten List of Most Non-Sensical 欠扁问答题
Friday, July 08, 2005 @ 3:28 am: London to host the Games of the XXX Olympiad in 2012
Thursday, July 07, 2005 @ 2:39 am: Driving in Singapore -- Part I
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 @ 2:42 am: Why my ass hurts after the colonoscopy
Monday, July 04, 2005 @ 1:53 am: Bill Gates Live! -- Part II
Saturday, July 02, 2005 @ 6:48 pm: Bill Gates Live! -- Part I
Thursday, June 30, 2005 @ 2:59 am: Blur like sotong