I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Things to do at work when you're stuck in a dead-end job

It's August already. Time passes so fast that it's scary to even think about it. I can feel myself getting older by the minute. The corruption investigation has been pending for six months and i'm still stuck in this job. I don't know which is worse: the fact that i gotta stay put due to my contractual obligations despite the dim future of this job, or i may be unemployed for some time if the company really winds up. If this whole thing drags till next year, i can forget about getting the AWS (i.e. 13th month bonus). Well, even if i'm able to be employed by another company before the end of the year, i wouldn't be entitled to the AWS either due to probation. Oh just great, what kind of depressing thought that is...  

I've been doing my best to stay positive in this kind of situation. In fact, since our manufacturing operation has halted and there wasn't much to do at work, i've been making best use of my time in the office. Here are some non-work related things that can help you to pass time if you are stuck in a dead-end job like me:
  1. Start a blog and spend whole day blogging   

  2. Chat with friends via instant messenger (provided your friends have as much time as you)

  3. Read articles in Wikipedia to broaden your knowledge   

  4. Write emails to friends whom you've not contacted for a long time

  5. Attend free seminars/conventions

  6. Read other blogs

  7. Read magazines/novels

  8. Play computer games (don't forget to mute the speakers)

  9. Gossip with colleagues   

  10. Search for jobs online (even though you can't apply for the jobs, you should still get a feel of the job market situation)
Of course, people who are more hardworking would make use of the extra time to improve on the work flow or take up some courses (if you have the $$$) or read up technical stuff to improve job knowledge... Well, not me. I spent my time on doing non-productive things. I wouldn't be called lazy for no reason.  

Too bad that this "honey moon" period has ended recently. With my boss leaving tomorrow and the management's plan to rebuild the confidence of potential investors, i am tasked with the mission to enhance the current system. I guess it's actually a good thing for me. If i continue idling like this, i may be addicted to such dawdling and become less competitive in a fast-paced field. That would be really detrimental to my future.

So PinPin, kanbate ne!   

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, August 02, 2005 @ 2:57 am: Is home still a home if it's not safe?
Monday, August 01, 2005 @ 2:57 am: The sweetest thing in a relationship
Friday, July 29, 2005 @ 9:16 pm: My so-called life and blogging
Friday, July 29, 2005 @ 3:25 am: Driving in Singapore -- Part II
Thursday, July 28, 2005 @ 2:10 am: Lost luggage
Wednesday, July 27, 2005 @ 2:52 am: Is that a gun in my car?
Monday, July 25, 2005 @ 7:57 pm: Some mistakes are just so expensive
Sunday, July 24, 2005 @ 11:23 pm: Lost and found
Sunday, July 24, 2005 @ 3:52 am: 43-minute customer service
Friday, July 22, 2005 @ 2:33 am: One of those days...