I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Thursday, October 04, 2007

The job interview today

Woke up this morning with a headache. If it was a normal working day, i'd have called in sick and rest at home so that i could be in a good condition for the job interview in the evening. But then, i gotta attend a course already paid for by the company, so i must drag myself out of the bed no matter what. I was thinking to myself then, "maybe this is a sign that the job isn't for me..."

Luckily, the headache subsided even though i didn't take any medicine, but i was still feeling tired and sleepy for the whole day through out the lesson. I then thought, "can't blame me if i perform badly during the interview later..."

I left the course center at 5pm and reached the place of interview at around 5.30pm, which was 30 minutes earlier than the appointment time. I still looked exhausted and certainly not in a tip-top condition for any job interview. I've always thought that looking good had somewhat contributed to the success rate in all the previous interviews that i had attended, and today was definitely not one of those days that i could charm my interviewer.

BUT, despite all that, i think i did rather well. No difficult or tricky questions were asked. No remarks about me being a job hopper (and again, i must reiterate that i AM NOT a job hopper!). It seemed like i fit the bill, almost perfectly. Even the interviewer said so himself, EXCEPT one thing. That one thing is the definitely killer and because of that, i think my chance of getting this job is slim.

My notice period of 2 months was considered too long, as the company needs a person asap.

The interviewer asked me repeatedly if there's any possibility for me to join them early. He even asked me if there's any room for negotiation with my current management in letting me go earlier. I honestly replied that i doubt it would be possible because i'm currently involved in a project that is at a delicate stage and losing any project member can have big impact to the project timeline. The interviewer then said 2 months may be not acceptable and he would have to consider.

I know i could have lied and told him that the notice period can be shortened, but i don't see a point in telling him something that was untrue just so that i could get the job and then later default on it. If he really thinks that i'm the best suited candidate, then he would be willing to wait, or maybe even pay for me to join them earlier. If not, then i'm not the right one for them anyway.

Oh, and by the way, when i opened up the browser just now, i saw this on Yahoo:



Although my job is not on the line now, some of the points mentioned in the article are really valid for my situation now. I guess this is a sign, huh?!

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, October 03, 2007 @ 2:46 am: On course again
Monday, October 01, 2007 @ 2:29 am: Updates
Monday, October 01, 2007 @ 2:21 am: I'm ITIL certified!
Thursday, September 27, 2007 @ 3:31 am: A private space
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 @ 3:09 am: Piggy doggie
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 @ 3:29 am: A pact
Monday, September 24, 2007 @ 1:28 am: Gaining weight
Saturday, September 22, 2007 @ 5:31 pm: Long weekend
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 @ 2:41 am: We are going to Bangkok next year
Monday, September 17, 2007 @ 2:36 am: The past weekend