I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Friday, January 06, 2006

Re-Entry Permit stamp on another passport

I went to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore yesterday to get a Re-Entry Permit stamp on my International Passport. When i applied for Singapore PR in 2001, i used my Restricted Passport for the stamp, and this passport is gonna expire in May this year. Now that the use of Restricted Passport is gonna be discontinued soon and i'll be leaving for Bangkok from Singapore tomorrow, i thought i might as well get the stamp on my International Passport as well.

I had checked with several friends and colleagues and they told me that i didn't have to get another stamp on my International Passport for travelling overseas via Singapore. All i have to do is just to produce both the International and Restricted passports at the Changi immigration counter. But when i enquired about it with the officer at ICA yesterday, she told me that this way of travelling is not recommended. It is still advisable to get the Re-Entry Stamp on the International Passport rather than carrying two passports along. Since she didn't say it's not allowed, so i think we can indeed do that, but just that it's not the preferred way. I'm not sure what's the reason as i didn't ask.

The process of getting another Re-Entry Permit stamp was very easy. The documents needed were just the application form and the two passports. The whole process took me less than 15 minutes. I paid SGD10 for an one-year stamp on my International Passport. I could have saved the money if i chose to transfer the stamp, which means that the original stamp on my Restricted Passport would be voided and i could no longer enter Singapore using this passport. But then i thought i could still make good use of the remaining five months before my Restricted Passport expires and also to save some pages on the expensive International Passport.

I was very happy with the service provided by the ICA officer. She was very helpful, friendly and fast. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the feedback form she asked me to fill in right in front of her. I gave her a rating of "excellent" anyway.

This reminds me of the experience i had a few months back when i renewed my International Passport at the Immigration Office in JB. It wasn't a pleasant one. Gosh, how i wish the officers in Malaysia can be as friendly and efficient. Sigh, somehow, i feel that this will remain as a wish for a long time to come.  

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Thursday, January 05, 2006 @ 1:58 pm: The New Seven Wonders of the World
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 @ 1:32 pm: I'm in holiday mood
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 @ 2:27 am: A birthday gift in advance
Monday, January 02, 2006 @ 4:58 am: New year's resolutions 2006
Sunday, January 01, 2006 @ 8:49 pm: Change of blog name
Saturday, December 31, 2005 @ 9:39 pm: Year 2005 in retrospect
Friday, December 30, 2005 @ 2:52 pm: I'm so fed up
Thursday, December 29, 2005 @ 2:40 pm: A belated Christmas gift
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 @ 2:37 pm: The amazing Chinese medicines
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 @ 3:11 am: My Christmas gift