I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Disappointed users and boss

My boss just came back from his home country yesterday after two weeks of break. What awaiting him was the bad news of how the users, especially Financial users, were unhappy about the new system. They claimed that the system fell short of their expectations and they couldn't see how they would be better off in replacing the old system.

So the users actually think that a Windows-based relational database system isn't any better than a flat file system written in COBOL (of the 80s). There could only be two explanations, either the solution center has been doing a lousy job in implementing the system to meet our business needs, or the users had their expectations too high and were greatly disappointed. In our case, i would say it's both.

While i was amused by their comments, my boss was rather pissed. He has set to have the system goes live in mid-Feb, and with such feedback, it was near to impossible to meet his target.

Frankly, even i don't have the confidence to have the system run live within a month. There were many errors not resolved. None of the areas that were tested were 100% bug-free. Users' confidence and acceptance seemed to be low. Unless my boss could push it through by persuading the big boss, i don't see it happening next month at all.

I hope that wouldn't affect my boss's appraisal of my performance though. I wonder if he has hired me with the hope that i could help to meet the mid-Feb target. If it was so, then i'm kinda screwed. My probation would only end in April, which coincides with the yearly performance review for increment. Hope this is not gonna come back and bite me by then.

Anyway, it's Friday. I'm not gonna worry about work during weekend. We'll be going to Singapore tomorrow early morning for our car servicing. We've planned to have a visit to my new workplace and our competitor next door after the servicing, followed by another shopping spree at Vivo City. This new mall has been such a buzz since its opening and we've yet to see what the big deal was about. So, 贝 will be visiting three newly opened places in Singapore tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

it is unfortunate to hear that the acceptance is low. I find that navision seems to have a problem with the financial module. One of the key comment I heard for one of its implementation was its inflexibility with certain "accounting" practices. While in many cases, it is not the IT dept problem, you can't blame those straight face accountants for being stubborn. They are just too used to doing things their ways in the past.

Here's wishing you a speedy implementation in this new year. Good luck! ;-)

Ironically, Navision was evolved from a financial package and thus the financial module should be the most powerful. I agree with you that it requires the users to change their current work practice to suit the system due to some of the program logic. And when it comes to acceptance of change, it's something tough for all human beings. I guess we'll just have to manage it to the best of our abilities.

Thanks for your well wishes. :)

Share your cogitation



Thursday, January 04, 2007 @ 3:57 am: Three upsetting events
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 @ 3:42 am: My first cupping therapy
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 @ 4:12 am: New year's resolutions 2007
Monday, January 01, 2007 @ 4:36 am: Year 2006 in retrospect
Saturday, December 30, 2006 @ 3:42 am: Going to KL
Friday, December 29, 2006 @ 3:42 am: My ex-work place
Thursday, December 28, 2006 @ 4:05 am: Raining, year end
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 @ 4:40 am: Raining again
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 @ 2:57 am: My Christmas this year
Saturday, December 23, 2006 @ 4:23 am: Working Saturday again