I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Situation at work

The news of my resignation had started to spread in the company. Last week, i started to have colleagues coming around and asking me sheepishly if it was true. Despite having worked for so many years, i could never understand why resignation is always such a hush-hush thing.

What's the big deal really? People come, people go. We should always be happy if someone is going for something bigger and better, of course unless that person totally doesn't deserve it, but then who is to judge? For me, i would rather everyone knows about my impending departure so that i can be pardoned for showing them my bo chap attitude.

The HR Manager had a talk with me last week. Nothing else but those usual shit about wanting to know the reasons for my leaving and if there was any way to salvage the situation. I told her point blank that it wasn't something salvageable. Then she said she would still wanna know the why, as it would help to improve things for the company (ya, sure).

Well, since she asked, so i just told her whatever that i wasn't happy about the company and the job, with some reservation about the people part of the problems of course. After hearing what i said, she asked if i would be willing to take up other positions in the company, as she said there were two openings in other departments. Again, i outright rejected her proposition and told her that i've gotten a good offer elsewhere. I guess after hearing what i told her about my next job, she knew that it wasn't something this company could offer me, so she closed her case.

There were many people leaving the company recently. We received farewell emails almost everyday. This is rather unusual considering it's almost end of the year and most people would stick it through until they get their AWS (13th month bonus). So, that basically tells us two things: 1) the job market is very very very good, 2) there's something wrong with the company that fails to retain people (especially talent like me   ). But does the company really care? I doubt so.

Oh wait, maybe the company does care. In fact, they value the staff so much that they would rather re-designate the person to another post (that may be totally unrelated to the person's current job) than to lose the person.

One example is our HR Director, who was previously in the retail operations and then re-designated to head the HR department even though she had no prior experience in this field at all. But it doesn't matter of course, as the company is sponsoring her to a Master degree in HR.

And another example is how the HR Manager asked me if i was interested in other posts that are non IT related. So i guess it's either i'm so good that they think i can excel in everything, or they simply don't care about putting the right person in the right place for the best performance.

One more example?

Well, my replacement had been found. Coincidentally, the application trainer from our department resigned on the Monday after my resignation. My boss managed to convince her to stay by offering my job to her.

I'm not in the position to comment if she was the right choice, but the Database Analyst in my department was very interested in taking over my job and actually talked to my boss about it. She had prior experience in similar capacity as Business Analyst, so she would have been a better candidate. She actually approached my boss about taking over my job after hearing about my resignation, but my boss didn't agree to it. That made her very unhappy. Well, i guess she was still too good to be a Business Analyst and so boss wanted her to stay as what she is.

Then the interesting thing was that last Friday, the trainer who would be taking over my job told me that she regretted about her decision. She told me that there was no mention about any increment at all even though it was like a promotion of some sort (her current title falls under executive rank, while Business Analyst is classified as managerial rank). She said she had actually gotten an offer that would give her a 20% increase from the current pay, and she felt silly to have given it up. She said she got softhearted when boss talked to her in a sad way and she regretted in agreeing to it on the spur of the moment.

I heard myself went "ha ha ha" in my head when she was telling me all these. Not that i was laughing at her misjudgement; i was just thinking that how boss pulled the same moving stunt on her to convince her to stay. Well, he did succeed in moving me to tears, but not enough to make me reconsider. Perhaps this could be attributed to my somewhat cold personality.

Anyway, there were more stories to tell, which i would have to leave it to another post. The bottom line is that i don't understand why she would retract her resignation. The things that she couldn't stand about the company wouldn't change even when she changes her post in the company. With all those resentment, i doubt she would stay long.

Oh, and by the way, i called in sick and didn't go to work. I wasn't really sick. Oh ok, maybe i was. Sick of going to work, definitely. I think it's an utterly stupid idea to keep an employee around for two months when the person has already tendered her resignation. How productive and motivated can the person be?

Two-month notice period is just way too long. Unfortunately, my next job also requires two-month notice period, not that i'm thinking about resignation already even before starting the new job.

Sigh, it's back to work tomorrow. At least there are only four more days to go.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, October 23, 2007 @ 2:30 am: The past week
Friday, October 19, 2007 @ 3:22 am: No blog today
Tuesday, October 16, 2007 @ 4:26 am: A new toy
Monday, October 15, 2007 @ 3:40 am: Long weekend
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 @ 4:43 am: BLIA Treasure Hunt on Wheels
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 @ 4:47 am: Kiwanis Sentosa Treasure Hunt 2007
Monday, October 08, 2007 @ 2:36 am: We won the 3rd prize
Sunday, October 07, 2007 @ 4:53 am: Resignation
Friday, October 05, 2007 @ 4:19 am: Good news
Thursday, October 04, 2007 @ 4:01 am: The job interview today