I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Monday, January 28, 2008

An enjoyable day

Today may probably be the best i've had in Taiwan so far. Not that i went on a tour or shopping spree, but at least i had some fun.

The day didn't start out as good though. I had planned to wake up at 9am so that i could have the free breakfast in the hotel. Then i didn't manage to get myself up until 10am, when the breakfast time was already over. And i woke up feeling very heaty in my body and still with the mild headache from yesterday. I drank lots of water and ate an apple for breakfast.

At around 11.30am, i met up with little boss and we headed to the city area. The Taiwanese colleagues were having their year-end lunch party today (their "year end" was referring to the Lunar year) and had invited us to join them.

We had a good time during lunch. The food was good, and the people were fun. There was a lucky draw with the 1st prize being TWD10K in cash. After all the prizes had been drawn, the directors announced that they would contributed more money for further lucky draw. There were four of them, and in total they contributed TWD80K out of their own pockets for the staff. I was very touched at their generous gesture and how they showed appreciation for their staff.

The second round of lucky draw included the guests too. Some guests, who were the vendors, gave back the money and even topped up more when they won the prize. I was also lucky enough to got a TWD5K cash prize, but i gave the money back too since i didn't feel right to take away the money that was supposed to be for the Taiwanese colleagues. I was also asked to draw a lot from the box and the person who got the number i drawn actually won the second round of 1st prize of TWD10K. I guess it is gonna be a lucky year for me.

After the lunch, i went to the big Eslite bookstore (誠品書局). It's the 24-hr bookstore that i had wanted to go but missed during my last trip. The Taiwanese colleagues told me that this was a newly opened store at the shopping area called 新光三越, where the 101 tower is just nearby.





The bookstore is really big. Huge. Seriously, if i were here for holiday and am in a relaxing mood, i could just stay there for the whole day. The bookstore carries a wide range of books, so much more than the book fair that we had been to in KL. Unfortunately, it was already 4pm+ and i wasn't really in the mood to shop around, so i only bought three books, two for 貝 and one for myself.



The books here are cheap. The three books only cost me TWD1,080 (about SGD50). I told 貝 that he should follow me to Taiwan next time and he could stay in the bookstore the whole day while i go to work.



After i bought the books, i hailed a cab back to the hotel. I know it's a pity that i didn't go shopping since i was already in the city center district, but i really didn't wanna tire myself out. It has also been raining all the time and that kinda drench my shopping mood too.

While on the cab, i saw a notice at the back of the front seat. It was kinda like a service guideline, but i found no. 6 particular funny.



No talking about politics and religion? Heh, no wonder the cab drivers here are always so quiet, unlike those in MY, SG and HK.

After returned to the hotel, i saw that the time was only 6pm. So i decided to go to the shopping mall just opposite the hotel.

Yeah, i just mentioned that i wasn't in the mood for shopping, and it wasn't that i changed my mind. I went there for one purpose.



Uh huh, there's a Snoopy Land!



Seeing all the Peanuts characters simply lifted my mood. Too bad that everything was too expensive and i figured that i shouldn't be spending too much on Peanuts collectibles. So in the end, i didn't buy anything but just took some photos.

(Taking pictures inside the store was forbidden. I didn't know about it and was snapping away until i saw the sign)











After wondering in the Snoopy Land for a while and looked at some shoes in the mall, i left the mall empty handed. I then went over to Carrefour to get my dinner.



Uh huh, there's a Bread Talk bakery here. Since i had a sumptuous lunch, i just bought two buns for dinner.

So that's all i did today. Nothing much yet enjoyable. Too bad that i gotta end today with something not so enjoyable, that is more working.

It's gonna be another long week ahead. Sigh.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Sunday, January 27, 2008 @ 4:08 am: An idling day
Saturday, January 26, 2008 @ 7:12 am: The mutation continues
Monday, January 21, 2008 @ 4:13 am: I'm mutating
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 @ 3:40 am: Working hard
Saturday, January 12, 2008 @ 5:27 am: Low down
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 @ 4:21 am: Still busy
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 @ 4:35 am: Busy
Friday, January 04, 2008 @ 4:17 am: Trip cancelled
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 @ 3:47 am: New year's resolutions 2008
Tuesday, January 01, 2008 @ 4:54 am: Year 2007 in retrospect