I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New year's resolutions 2008

So it's time of the year again to review last year's resolutions and to set up new ones.

On the reviewing part, it's so easy and yet so difficult. On the easy part, i could finish the review in just one word actually: FAILED.

Uh huh, i managed to fulfill 60% of what i planned to do the year before, but last year, i achieved none of the resolutions. So that's why it's so difficult, because it's so hard to look at how much i had failed myself.

  1. To achieve 130 shots for a 18-hole game / 65 shots for 9-hole game

    I didn't practised enough on the golfing and certainly didn't improve my swings at all. In fact, i think i actually played worse than before.


  2. To achieve one Master Level Certification for Navision

    I did passed one exam, but i need two more to achieve the full certification. I was pretty sure that i could complete this resolution, but the plan changed in the later part of the year because my new job has minimal involvement in Navision and i do not need the certification anymore. So i decided not to pursue it anymore and save the exam fee.


  3. To pick up yoga

    This may sound like an excuse, but really, i simply had no time in signing up for a course.


  4. To participate and complete the yearly Singapore Johor 2nd Link Bridge Run

    I had wanted to sign up for the run but 贝 advised against it because i didn't train up at all. After much consideration, i thought he was right and gave this up.


  5. To reduce my weight to 53KG

    Sigh, i'd rather not to talk about this. Instead of shredding those fat, i actually put on more weight. I'm now at my record high of 57KG, the heaviest ever i've had in my life so far. This is so scary, like a sign telling me that i'm slowly turning into my mom. Oh no!


So, the question now is that why bother to draw up all the resolutions when i could never achieve any of them?

Well, maybe this sounds silly, but i think setting up resolutions for the year is at least a way of giving me a direction in achieving some goals instead of just spending the days in working, eating, and sleeping.

That's the theoretical part of course. In reality, by putting up all the resolutions but not striving to achieve them is pointless. In the end, i might simply spend the year in just working, eating, and sleeping.

Anyway, let's just stick to the theoretical part for now. I'll do my best to put it into practice, as promised to myself every year.

This year, i'll just have one resolution, which is brought forward from last year with a minor adjustment:

To reduce my weight to 54KG.

Yes, just this single line but not as simple as it seems. To achieve it, it means i gotta have all the things that i lack: perseverance, self-discipline and patience. If by this time next year, i could proudly give myself a PASSED on this single line, i have not only achieved the weight i wanted, but also cultivated the virtues that can make me a step closer to being a perfect person.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, January 01, 2008 @ 4:54 am: Year 2007 in retrospect
Monday, December 31, 2007 @ 4:42 am: A long weekend
Thursday, December 27, 2007 @ 2:36 am: Back to office
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 @ 8:28 pm: A very Merry Christmas
Monday, December 24, 2007 @ 4:56 am: Back at home
Friday, December 21, 2007 @ 4:51 am: Hong Kong - Day 6
Friday, December 21, 2007 @ 2:12 am: Happy food
Monday, December 17, 2007 @ 4:21 am: Hong Kong - Day 2
Sunday, December 16, 2007 @ 4:57 am: Hong Kong - Day 1
Saturday, December 15, 2007 @ 4:57 am: Taipei - Day 6