I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Friday, February 03, 2006

The five days of CNY and my birthday

It has passed mid-night and it's the 6th day of CNY already. 贝 will be back from Bukit Mertajam in about less than 16 hours time.

I'm not sure if my first five days of CNY should be considered well-spent. I read some comics, watched some VCDs, slept, ate, and met up with friends. I went to bed not earlier than 3am everyday and felt tired instead of well-rested.

I guess the highlight of the last five days would be my birthday, despite it being the day i became older, despite 贝 not being by my side, despite the absence of red hard boiled eggs, despite my mom only remembering it an hour before it ended, despite being informed of a news that put my mind in a flux.

Yes, despite all that, i had an enjoyable 31st birthday, because i'm blessed with the best boyfriend and friends in the world... well, at least in my world.

贝 gave me a surprise by e-mailing me a recording with him acting as a little doggie wishing me happy birthday. I had already received my birthday gift in advance and didn't expect anything more from him. What he did was really sweet and had sure put a big smile on my face.  

Then a group of my best friends asked me out for a gathering. Two of my friends were back from overseas, one was married to Japan and the other studying in Taiwan. We were supposed to meet up only on this Saturday when we are gonna have our CNY's celebration at my house. So when they asked me out, i had already guessed that they must be planning to celebrate my birthday with me.

Indeed, there was a birthday cake, completed with them singing the birthday song (in Chinese and English) and me blowing the candle (uh huh, we only put one candle on the cake). I was overjoyed. We used to do that when we were back in high school, singing the birthday song at the top of our voice in the classroom, making sure that everyone, even students in other classes, could hear it so as to embarrass the birthday boy/girl. Being 31 years old and still having a group of friends singing birthday song to me also felt kinda embarrassing, but the happiness truly touched my heart. Suddenly, we were all transformed back to the teenagers with white uniforms and carefree lives. It was just like the good ol' days.

I'm glad that at the beginning of the lunar new year and on my 31st birthday, i was reminded of how grateful i should be for all that i have in my life despite all the setbacks over these past few years. Life may not be a bed of roses but with all these people who love me and whom i love, i'm fine to do without the roses.  

Labels: , , , ,

HaPPy Belated BirthDay Pin Pin

Actually was trying to send a comment last Wednesday by Hphone but can't.

Thanks Desmond.

It's the thought that counts. I appreciate it. :)

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, February 01, 2006 @ 5:53 am: Why 1975 was a good year
Sunday, January 29, 2006 @ 4:58 am: A quiet Chinese New Year's Eve
Saturday, January 28, 2006 @ 4:57 am: I need to think this over
Friday, January 27, 2006 @ 3:43 am: I'm a natural beauty leh!
Thursday, January 26, 2006 @ 3:22 am: Trivia of my uneventful day
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 @ 4:24 am: I'm not a shopaholic
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 @ 3:34 am: A little story about Yuan Shi Kai
Monday, January 23, 2006 @ 4:31 am: Chinese New Year party
Friday, January 20, 2006 @ 4:32 am: Of blogging travel logs
Thursday, January 19, 2006 @ 1:36 pm: My first trip to Bangkok -- my impression