I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

In memory of my dad

On 15-August-1990, my dad passed away in KL. I wasn't by his side when he left us...

15 years had passed and till this day, i still wonder what would have been his last words to my brother and me at the very last moment of his life. I'm not sure if not being by his deathbed would be the greatest rue of my life, but not having the chance to know him better and to let him know that how much i've loved him is definitely my greatest regret.

I don't normally feel melancholy every year on his death anniversary. This year, however, my sorrow was triggered by some old journals that had been kept high up in the closet. I have been doing house cleaning over the past few weekends. As i was fumbling through my old stuff that were covered with dust, i came across my old journals (周记) and essays that were written during my high school days. I couldn't help but flipped through the journals and reminisced the good old days, amused by my childishness and insignificant youth vexation. When i was reading the journal from Junior III, it ceased to be amusing. Sadness dawned upon me as i was reminded of how dad had suffered from the torment of colon cancer.

Here are the pages that mentioned my dad (pardon my lousy translation):



Translation:
5-1-1990, I'm in a very bad mood recently. Dad was diagnosed with cancer in November last year and was hospitalized. Even though he has been discharged from the hospital, he is still very weak and couldn't manage the company anymore. Thus, he sold the company and intends to move to another place. I don't know how our lives in future will be and i'm very sad. Everytime when i see dad's pale face and mom's weariness from taking care of dad, i felt even more miserable. Whenever i faced unhappiness, mom would listen to me. Now i can't tell her my troubles anymore because i don't want her to be bothered with these petty things. Now whenever i encountered difficulties in school, i would have to keep it to myself. I really feel like crying.



Translation:
20-1-1990, Doctor has confirmed that the tumour that was removed from dad had grown back. The doctor said dad must go through another operation but even so, he could only live for another year. Until now, i still can't feel the pain of losing my dad. I only feel very sad and hope that i could be filial to him while he's still living, so as to thank him for spending his whole life working to bring me up.

Teacher's comment: Cherish the time you have and fill the home with happiness. Don't make your parents worry.



Translation:
20-7-1990, Lately i gotta go back home directly after school because dad may not be able to make it. Mom said she's afraid something unexpected may happen so she wants me to be at home. Dad went back to the hospital for checkup and the medical report showed that the cancerous cells in the liver had decreased in number, but more unfortunately they had spread to intestines, lung, both kidneys and lymph gland, etc. The days are numbered. Now dad's waist to feet are all swollen, as if air had been pumped into the body. Doctor said if the swell continues up to the chest, he will fall into a coma, and then...



Translation:
19-8-1990, Dad has passed away. It was very strange that i felt relief. Perhaps dad's illness had dragged for so long and this kind of ending was expected, so i didn't feel devastated. I was absent from school for almost a week. It has been very tiring these few days. Now i know how tiring funeral is. I didn't sleep for almost three days. I'm dead beat!

Teacher's comment: To him, the sickness was a torment and it was a relief to him. It is good that you think in this way. Hope you can be stronger and work harder because of this, so as to give the elderly (especially your late father) a peace of mind.

Through the writing, it appeared that i wasn't very sad when he passed away. Looking back, i guessed i indeed didn't feel as devastated as i should have been. I don't even remember if i had cried at all. I'm not sure why. Perhaps i'm a cold-blooded person by nature, or maybe i was really relieved of his passing because he had suffered for too long.

From the diagnosis of his cancer to his death was less than a year. Some may say that it's not really a long period. However, anyone who has had the similar experience of slowly losing a loved one would understand my feeling. Even passing a day was like a year...

Dad was a strong person. He rarely fell sick and always bragged about how he would not be ill even once when we all had been sick for ten times. Then one night in November 1989, he felt an excruciating pain in his stomach. It was so painful that i was told he couldn't even stand up straight and needed my mom and brother to support him to the car. Mom let me sleep through the night without waking me up and it wasn't until the next day that i got to know that dad was already in the hospital in JB.

No doctor attended to dad that night and he had to suffered through the throes the whole night. The next day, after taking X-ray of his stomach, the doctor told us that he had a big tumour in his colon that must be removed immediately. After much consideration and the unpleasant experience of the previous night, mom arranged for dad's transfer to the NUS Hospital in Singapore for operation. I still remembered the day when he underwent the operation. We waited in the hospital for hours. When he was trundled out from the operation room, he was still in an anesthetic state, but we could see his fingers moving as if wanting to hold something. I held his hand in mine from the time he was out of the operation room until he awoke. That was the only time during his sickness that i showed my concern.

After the operation and further examination, the doctor confirmed that dad was already in the 4th stage of colon cancer and the cancerous cells had already spread to his other organs. We were told that he would live not more than a year. I was already 15 years old then and should have been old enough to feel sad upon hearing this news, but i've never had anyone dear to me passed away. So even though i know what death was, i couldn't really grasp the idea of losing someone forever.

Over the next few months, dad spent his remaining days going through the chemotherapy and taking medication or whatever people said that could help to cure cancer. Because of his kidney failure, his whole body began to swollen and thus couldn't have any clothes on. As such, i was kept outside of his room most of the time and everytime i got the chance to see him, he was getting thinner and weaker. Within half a year, i saw my dad, from a strong healthy man, turned into a frail old man.

I don't think i could ever understand the kind of agony he has gone through. He told us that the pain caused by cancer is the worst in the world; sometimes the throes would be so unbearable that he would scribble on the paper to question what he had done to have to go through this torment and that he would rather die than to suffer like this. I was heart-broken when i read his scrawl, especially when i knew full well that dad had never done anything so wrong to deserve this suffering.

I guess it's human nature that when there isn't an answer or cure to our suffering, we would turn to the Almighty one. Dad took refuge in Buddhism and moved to his brother's place in KL (my uncle was a supposed staunch Buddhist). In the last month of his life, the pain has gotten so bad that doctor had to inject medical doses of morphine to relieve his pain. As my brother and i had to go to school, we couldn't follow our parents to KL so we stayed back in JB. We would traveled to KL over weekends to be by his side, but he was either sleeping or too weak to talk most of the time.

On the morning of 15-August-1990, dad passed away quietly, at the age of 49. Only mom was at his side but she was sleeping then. When she woke up, she found dad in a lotus position (like Buddha). She tried to wake him up and then realized that he was already gone. No one knew if he passed away in his sleep or he did wake up before he went away. I chose to think that he had passed away peacefully without any pain and the angels must have been there to bring him to heaven. This seems to be a silly thought coming from a self-proclaimed "free thinker".

Dad's remains were cremated after three days of funeral and his ashes were scattered on the Klang River. I don't know why dad wished to have his ashes scattered on a river, but i hope the water could bring him to places that he had planned to visit when he retired but never had the chance to do so.

After more than a decade since i lost my dad, i would still dream of him sometimes. In my dreams, he was always the strong and healthy father whom i remembered, never the frail old figure during his battle with cancer. If there is indeed another world beyond the one that we are living in, i believe he was happy and well in that world, just as he appeared in my dreams...

Dad, this is for you.

Some reassuring and comforting words for you in remembering your Dad.

Death, however, does not exist in those terms. In the dawn of physical existence, men knew that death was merely a change of form. A death is just a night to your soul.

Existence is larger than life or death. Life and death are both states of existence. An identity exists whether it is in the state of life or in the state of death.

Your body is aware of the fact of its death at birth, and of its birth at its death, for all of its possibilities for action take place in the area between….so don’t be afraid to die if you are prepared!

No man or woman consciously knows for sure which day will be the last for him or her in this particular life, that each calls the present one. Mortality with its birth and death is the framework in which the soul, for now, is expressed in flesh.

Birth and death contain between them the earthly experience that you perceive as happening within a given period of time, through various seasons, and involving unique perceptions within areas of space-encountered with other human beings, all to one extent or another sharing with you events caused by the intersection of the self and time and space.

Birth and death then have their function, intensifying and focusing your attention. Life seems more dear in your terms, corporeal terms, because of the existence of death. It seems, perhaps, easier to have no conscious idea of the year or time that death might occur. Unconsciously of course each man and woman knows, and yet hides the knowledge.

The knowledge is usually hidden for many reasons, but the fact of death, personal death, is never forgotten. It seems obvious, but the full enjoyment of life would be impossible in the framework, now, of earthly reality without the knowledge of death.

Spiritually the death sentence given you is another chance at life, if you are freely able to accept life with all of its conditions and to feel its full dimensions, for that alone will rejuvenate your spiritual and physical self.

The experience that you had gone through was significant on several levels, and let you know that the integrity of the self and the soul exists beyond the possibility of annihilation, as you yourself will continue to exist regardless of which path you choose to take-dying within two years, or living physically on for many more. In other words, you will continue to exist and to be fulfilled within that love you sensed.

In the entire fabric of your existence, this life is a brilliant, eternally unique and precious portion, but only a portion, from which you emerge with joy and understanding whether you die tomorrow or in years to come. The choice of life and death is always yours.

Life and death are but two faces of your eternal, ever changing existence, however. Feel and appreciate the joy of your own being. Many live into their nineties without ever appreciating to that extent the beauty of their being.

Your Dad had lived before, and will again, and his new life, in your terms, springs out of the old, and is growing in the old and contained within it as the seed is already contained within the flower.

Ancient Egyptians believed that upon death they would be asked two questions and their answers would determine whether they could continue their journey in the afterlife.

The first question was, "Did you bring joy?"

The second was, "Did you find joy?"
- Leo Buscaglia

I can understand how u feel.
My dad left me when I wasn't even can understand what's dead. To me, I only know I can't talk to him or see him again.

Actually, can't really remember his face or any words. Too young then. But during his death annivesary & father day, I'm so down.

This is worst when I'm scanning my mum old photos recently. I saw a lot of my dad's photo, majority from my mum's friends' album. Those which I never saw b4. I actually need to gain his memory of old day through his friends. and I realised I actually spent too little time with him, even these memories had faded. My tear kept rolling down while I'm scanning these photos. Of course, I won't tell my mum or sis. This is not a good feeling, right?
So I think it's not a bad thing to be sad or cry when we think of them, I think this is kind of remembering. Apart from that, we still need to move on, instead of drown ourself in this down mood.
So friend, be happy, cause I'll be always be with u. :p

Share your cogitation



Monday, August 15, 2005 @ 3:25 am: Layout template corrected
Saturday, August 13, 2005 @ 1:21 am: Is the end near already?
Friday, August 12, 2005 @ 2:32 am: Taman Sampah
Thursday, August 11, 2005 @ 3:39 am: Pu'er tea
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 @ 2:43 am: Happy 40th birthday, Singapore
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 @ 2:40 am: It's just a freakin' steering wheel lock!
Monday, August 08, 2005 @ 2:34 am: Change of layout
Saturday, August 06, 2005 @ 4:49 am: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Friday, August 05, 2005 @ 3:00 am: Who is there to protect us?
Thursday, August 04, 2005 @ 3:09 am: 3G = Goof, Giggle, Grumble