I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

On being sick and MC

I think i must have slept for more than 12 hours today. I was sick and didn't go to work. It wasn't really serious; i was just having sore throat and feeling tired. Just typical syndrome of an imminent flu i guess, but to prevent it from getting worse, i just took leave and stayed at home to rest.

One of the problems of working in Singapore and staying in JB is that i won't be able to take medical leave in such situation. Most companies in Singapore do not recognize medical cert (MC) issued by Malaysian clinics. The medical fee is also not claimable. I would have to fork out my own money to see the doctor and utilize my annual leave instead of medical leave, of course unless i go into Singapore just to get the MC. But then, if i were able to travel all the way to Singapore to see a doctor, i would be able to go to work, wouldn't i?!

It's understandable why the companies in Singapore do not recognize Malaysian MC. Most Singaporeans have this impression that it's very easy to get a MC in Malaysia. In fact, you can even buy one without really being sick. I know someone who had done so and it just cost RM10 for one day of MC. If i remember clearly, there was an incident a few years back about a MNC terminated many Malaysian factory workers because it was discovered that fake MC's obtained from clinics in JB were used to cheat the company. I think this news had somehow confirmed the Singaporean's perception that Malaysian MC is not reliable.

I've not "bought" any MC before but i knew it wasn't that difficult to get a MC from a clinic doctor, be it in JB or in Singapore. For instance, i can tell the doctor that i lau sai have diarrhea for the whole night, or i'm having a terrible menstrual cramp, or my gastric pain is killing me... there is no obvious syndrome for these unwellness so it won't be too hard to convince the doctor. From personal experience, i know these worked in Singapore as well, so who says the MC in Singapore is harder to obtain than that in Malaysia?!  

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Sunday, September 11, 2005 @ 3:47 am: The 10 things i noticed about a typical Korean dra...
Friday, September 09, 2005 @ 4:18 pm: My first attempt at writing a birthday poem
Thursday, September 08, 2005 @ 5:48 pm: Beware: No Malaysian flag on cars entering Singapore
Thursday, September 08, 2005 @ 1:45 am: The art of arguing
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 @ 2:43 am: Screed of yore (II)
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 @ 2:12 am: So this is how Acer does QC on DVD-ROM?
Monday, September 05, 2005 @ 1:04 pm: Something is just irreplaceable
Saturday, September 03, 2005 @ 3:57 am: Three wishes
Friday, September 02, 2005 @ 3:12 am: Screed of yore (I)
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 @ 4:14 pm: Rate my blog