I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Conversion of Malaysian driving licence in Singapore

Here's a guide for converting Malaysian driving licence to Singapore driving licence. This applies to Malaysian who is a Singapore Permanent Resident. The procedures may be similar for non-PR holders but vary on certain details.

Just in case you belong to the clueless bunch, a Singapore PR is not allowed to drive in Singapore unless you hold a valid Singapore driving licence. If you already have a valid Malaysian driving licence, then you may be able to convert your licence to a Singapore driving licence by just sitting for a theory test and furnishing some documents to the Singapore Traffic Police.

However, before you proceed with the conversion process, please ensure that you meet the requirements for driving licence conversion: your Malaysian driving licence must be obtained at least 6 months BEFORE you hold any valid re-entry pass in Singapore (e.g. PR, student visa, employment pass). If you get your Malaysian driving licence WHILE you reside in Singapore on a long-term basis, then you are NOT eligible for licence conversion. If you are unsure of your eligibility on licence conversion, please call and confirm with the Singapore Traffic Police.

Ok, now that we get that out of the way, here's what you have to do for converting your driving licence in Singapore:


Registering for the test

Firstly, register for the Basic Driving Theory Test at any authorized driving centres. You gotta fill in a form and get a queue number to wait for your turn for registration. Be sure to bring along your Singapore NRIC.



The test fee is SGD6 (to be paid via NETS). The registration and fee payment are to be done at the same counter. After that, you may proceed to the computer terminals at the centre to select a test date. Change of test date at a later stage is chargeable, so do make sure you have selected a test date that you are comfortable with.


Preparing for the test

After marking the test date on your calendar, you gotta study for the test. Yes, no matter how experienced you are as a driver, you MUST read through The Official Handbook. Be sure that you have the latest version for your study.

Don't be mistaken that you can just sit for the test unprepared and then pass it. Well, maybe you can if the lady of luck is shining on you, but in most instances you would probably be wasting your SGD6. I had heard about someone who had been driving in Malaysia for many years and yet still failed the test for 10 times.


Taking the test

On the day of the test, be sure to bring along your NRIC. Your name will be called and the invigilator will check your identification. Then you will be given a piece of paper with a computer station number.



Well, in case you haven't noticed that we are already in the information age, the test is to be done online instead of on paper. Look for the right computer station in the exam hall and get ready for the test.

Pay attention to the examiner's instructions on how to operate the computer station. When i took the test, there was a foreign worker who didn't understand English too well and pressed the wrong button that ended the test without answering any questions. Needless to say, he failed and gotta re-sit for the test (and pay for another SGD6).

You will be given 50 minutes to complete 50 multiple-choice questions. You are not allowed to answer more than 5 questions wrongly. Proceed with answering all the questions in sequence and then re-check the answers AFTER you have gone through all the questions once. You can check the answers as many times as you like. Be wary of the time as you only have an average of 1 minute per question.

When you are confident with your answers, press a button on the screen to end the test. You will be informed of your test result on the spot. Whether you pass or fail, please be considerate for others who may still be taking the test and refrain from laughing or crying out loud. You can do it outside the exam hall if you want.

If you are so smart like me and pass the test, be sure to print out the result slip at a printing terminal and keep it for the following licence conversion procedure. Of course, the result slip is also useful for you to brag about it on your blog or to your friends.




Preparing the necessary documents

Ok, here's the part where you gotta travel to two places to get your application done. After you have passed the driving test and before you apply for the licence conversion in Singapore, you gotta get an extract of driving licence from Jabatan Pengangutan Jalan (JPJ) as part of the documents for the application.

At JPJ, you gotta submit a form (to be obtained at JPJ) together with photocopies of your Singapore NRIC (or other passes such as Employment Pass), Malaysian driving licence and Malaysian IC. The fee for the extract is RM10 in cash. You should be able to get the letter within an hour or so, depending on the efficiency of the JPJ officer.



One thing to note is that when you apply for the extract, you are effectively terminating your Malaysian driving licence (even though you still have the photocard licence with you). I'm not too sure if they actually invalidate our driving licence in the database, but i do know that we will not be able to renew our driving licence anymore when the Malaysian licence is due for renewal the next time. It's not needed anyway as we can drive legally in Malaysia with the Singapore driving licence.

After obtaining the required extract from JPJ (which was sealed by the way), you may proceed back to the authorized centre in Singapore to submit your application. The licence fee is SGD50 (to be paid via NETS) and it lasts for a life-time, unlike Malaysian driving licence that needs to be renewed every few years.

For the application, make sure you have ALL the documents with you -- an application form that is filled up (the form is obtainable at the centre), a passport-size colour photo with white background, the extract from JPJ, your Malaysian driving licence, your Singapore NRIC (or other passes), the result slip, and most importantly, the passport bearing your first endorsed pass. I didn't know that they wanna see the FIRST pass so i only brought along the current passport. In the end i gotta go to the centre twice to get the application done.

To further explain on the passport requirement, let's take me as an example. I first started working in Singapore with an Employment Pass in year 2000. Then i obtained the Singapore PR in year 2001. The following year (2002), my passport expired and i renewed it to the current one i'm using, with the PR endorsement transferred to the current passport as well. And so here's the catch: they wanna look at my previous passport, the one that bears the Employment Pass in 2000. This is to serve as a proof that my Malaysian driving licence was obtained before i started working in Singapore.

For those who don't have a habit of keeping the old passports, you would have to produce other documents to prove that you were indeed not residing in Singapore when you obtained your Malaysian driving licence. Some of the valid documents may be your school transcripts or Income Tax forms.


Your Singapore driving licence

You will be given a slip while you are waiting for your photocard driving licence to be delivered to your home address (the one on the NRIC) via registered post. You can start driving in Singapore, with this slip acting in place of the photocard driving licence.



The photocard licence should be ready within a month's time. However, if you are like me who had nobody at home to sign for the registered post and the licence subsequently returned to the sender, then you gotta collect it personally at the Singapore Traffic Police HQ at Ubi Avenue 3. The Traffic Police will send you a notification letter for your collection.

To get to the Traffic Police HQ, you can either take a ride on the MRT to Paya Lebar station and then get a cab from there (with cab fare of SGD4++), or take Bus 58 from one of the stops that is on the bus route.

At the reception, tell the staff that you are there to collect your licence and you will be given a queue number. At the counter, you just have to produce the notification letter and NRIC to the staff, and viola, there's your brand new Singapore driving licence:

Labels: ,

very informative.... i am planning to convert my license too. Have been procrastinating since I got my PR about 4 yrs ago.

the license fee is so cheap. MY have to pay RM30 per annum (with the current rate). I know UK also no need renewal like Singapore, but UK's license is a piece of paper - easily rotten. :)

Beerbrat: If you are not gonna drive in Singapore, you don't really need to do the conversion. Or are you planning to buy a Singapore registered car?

Suzette: So i guess this means our government is better in making money out of the citizens.

Of course, well known for it. How frequently do you see other countries change their NRIC? Even though they didn't charge us last few years, they are still incurring costs and is actually charged back to us eventually (from our income tax), right?

They didn't charge us for changing the new IC but there were other "side incomes" too. Not sure about other places but in JB, we were forced to buy a transparent folder to hold the collection slip and an IC holder when we collected the new IC. I said "forced" because they didn't ask if we want it or not and just tell us to pay as-a-matter-of-fact-ly.

it's depend on ur luck.
Some office will just keep the folder when u said "no", some will insist :(

Thanks. Really very informative. I am still wondering what do they mean as extract from JPJ, then I search and found your blog. And I thought that PR cannot convert their license and only those who are not yet PR, like those who only have passes, can convert. Apparently I was wrong. Thanks for your effort in writing all these and it is really very useful.

yes, i aware of this that pr has to get singapore license but do not know that i have run up and down to get the extract.

anyway, what hinders me for the conversion if i got stopped by the police in malaysia and saw malaysian with singapore license, do you you think they will let you pass, if the police is low ranking constable ? it will be great excuse for them to say the license is not "recognize", fake, "who tell you singapore license can be used", etc and they will invite to sit 4hrs in balai unless you want to "settle". you know nowadays the police is so "uninformed". have anybody here stop by police and see malaysian with singapore license and politely "have a nice day" let you pass ?

Thanks for the info. I planned to buy a SG car to travel to work (I travel from JB to SG everyday). Question is: can we drive a Malaysian car in Malaysia using the converted SG license?

Thanks,
CK

I heard that SG driving license is valud in Msia because the two countries have a reciprocal agreement on this. I guess that's probably why JPJ terminated the Msian license when we get the extract.

As for whether it's legal for a SG PR with SG license to drive a Msian car in Msia, i'd think it is, since Singaporeans can rent a Msia car with their licenses.

In fact, my friends and i have been driving Msian cars in JB sometimes. So far, we had not been stopped by a police before. But given Msia's track record, i wouldn't be suprised if the police officers aren't clear on the law, or take it as a chance to "earn some allowances".

Hi,

I had converted my motor license in year 2000 without asking paper from JPJ. After that I took and passed my car license in Malaysia. now I holding 02 license. Should I go JPJ to get the paper and convert the car license to singapore??

cheesiang, sorry that i overlooked your comment.

I'm not sure about motor bike license policy and whether in your case the same procedure still applies. You'd better check with SG LTA first, as i understand that you must already hold a driving license for at least half-a-year before staying in SG.

Hi,

It is very informative.

But I would like to ask...

I got my Malaysia driving license about 3-4 mths ago before I studied in Singapore. Soon after my graduation, I got PR status.

So the question is am I eligible for just taking a basic theory test and converting the license after that? They will base on my PR endorsement on my passport (Which shows that I got my license more than 6 mths before I was granted PR status. I also didnt reside in Singapore while studying and I went back to JB eveyday instead)?

Or I couldnt convert my license due to the fact that I got my license less than six mths before I got my student pass?

Hi PinPin,
Thanks for sharing this invaluable informations with us!

I am a PR since Sep 1999. I obtained my 'P-Plate' M'sian driving liscence on 1997, when I was studying in Poly. I guess I am not valid for the conversion...However, I found a condition:

"A Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident of Singapore who applies to convert a foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence, has to show documentary proof from his passport(s) and other official documents (eg Income Tax documents, Result Transcripts of course of study etc), indicating that he has resided in the foreign country for at least SIX MONTHS CONTINUOUSLY, either preceding the first issue of the foreign driving licence or from the 1st day of issuance of the foreign driving licence."

~phew!...I went to KL for 3 years....Just wondering if during these period, coming back to Singapore a few times will void my 'validity' for conversion? =P

neehelp and anonymous, i'm afraid i do not have answers to your questions. It's best to call up LTA/Traffic Police of Singapore to enquire, as it may differ from case to case.

Hi XiaoPinPin ,
your information is very helpful !! Goodjob !

I am going to convert my Malaysia driving licence to SG driving licence and will go through the same processes as u did .
My main concern is same as the massage left by anonymous on 2/11/07 . The Malaysia police might 'kacau' us to see us carrying a converted SG licence while driving a Malaysia vehicle .
I am curious if u are working at traffic police station ? lol . Very nice of u ! Thank you

hi there,
being a beneficary of this informative post i'd like to highlight a few things.
1. The JPJ extract can only be obtained either at JB or Muar. None of the other JPJ offices entertain this conversion process.
2. Upon issuing the extract JPJ temporarily deactivates the Malaysian Driving license for 2 months. In case your conversion at Singapore fails you can always reactivate it.

Though i got my extract i'm yet to finish off the process in singapore.will be doing it tomorrow.

Ms.Pin thank you once again.

I wish I knew about all these before converting my license 4 years back. I wasn't allowed to renew my Msia license, and I kelam kabut came back to cancel my Sg's and went back to renew again. :-( I thought to myself, I have more opp to drive in Msia than in Sg, so, I chose Msia's!

Now, situation seems like changed. I want to convert my license (again) to Sg and not looking back. Can anyone tell me if I can convert again?

Hi..
Thanks for all the very helpful information on conversion of Malaysian license to Singapore license. I'm neither staying in Singapore nor working in Singpore. I'm living and working in Malaysia. Does anyone know if I can convert my Malaysian license to a Singaporean license? It's for future use. Thanks.

hi,
anyone know of any official website in malaysia that stated that singapore license can be used to drive malaysia car ?

so far, i only heard JPJ official said it is allowed, but only verbally...

yeah , lets us throw a "thank you" party for miss pin pin , hehehe

sori,i juz want make enquiry to u.
if i get PR since 2003~ but i get my driving license at 2004, whether i can convert my license to sg license or not?

i study poly at sg from 2006 till now. before that, i study at m'sia.
i juz want to know izzit i sm eligible to convert my license.

Hmm, despite this post was written years ago, i still get comments every now and then.

Frankly, i do not have answers to most questions. The best is always check with the authority before proceed with any conversion process.

To the last anonymous, i'd think you are not eligible to convert the license, because you get the Msia license AFTER you have become a SG PR. Do call LTA and ask for confirmation though, as i'm not sure if there are any exceptions.

hi all,

for singapore international license, you are only allowed to drive malaysian rented cars or white plates registered car(which need to register with LDKP or JPJ).

I believe white plates needs to pay a some of money.

for personnel car with malaysian registered number plates, you are NOT allowed to drive with a Singapore International Driving License.

Thanks.

mer_vyn666@yahoo.com

Dear all,

I was caught by traffic police recenlty in Kedah. They issue summon to me. The reason is i do not have license although i presented my Malaysia converted Singapore license. I made arguement with them on the spot that it is legal to drive Malaysia plate cars with Singapore license. But they said they do not know about this law. They issued the summon and ask me to appeal at police station. Is anyone can tell me that where can i find offcial website showing that Singapore license can drive Malaysia plate cars? Up to moment, i only hear verbally from JPJ officer (JB).

Dear Anonymous on 2/2/09,

I am from Kedah. I am about to conert my M'sia driving licence. Can I proceed to convert after hearing your case?

Is there any new updates on converting M'sia driving licence apart from above written by PinPin in 2006.

The law still unchanged. I've called Johor Bharu JPJ officer, he said the Singapore Driving License is valid in Malaysia. It is an offence of abtaining two driving license. Hence, your Malaysia Driving License will be cancelled upon converted to Singapore License.
He commented every state of JPJ Director aware of Singapore driving license is valid in Malaysia (can drive Msia car). But he is not too sure about Police Traffic is aware or not.

is it possible for us to get an official written confirmation on this issue from the authorities? Verbal account is useless as we all know.

hi there. although you wrote this article long time ago, it's still quite a good read now for ppl who'll be going thru the same experience.

i noticed u didn't mention anything about translations. it wasn't necessary for you to have the extract or malaysian driving license translated right?

regarding some recent comments whether the converted license replaces msia license, it seems to be inconclusive. my logic thinking is that it should replace, else why would JPJ want to take back our msian license right?

thanks again!

I just converted my licence n pls be aware to wear long pant whne go to jpj in jb. I was nearly not allowed to go in wif my Bermuda. Lady wear more conservative . No singlet n revealing cloths

hh:
1) can i drive a malaysia car in sg after the coversion?

2) can i drive a malaysia car in malaysia after the conversion?

This post is interesting! I found an article in JPJ website that might interests everyone here.

There is a list of countries where its valid driving license (still had not expire) is recognized in Malaysia and therefore can drive a Malaysia registered car (not a rented Malaysia car). I do NOT see Singapore in that list in the article updated on Mar 2011.

i have singapore driving license converted from malaysia driving license i obtained almost 3 years ago and about to expire next year. im no longer working in singapore, now my problem is how can i renew my license because need a work permit to do that or at least re-convert my license back to malaysian driving license. any helps much appreciated.

Hey guys - whoever had asked a question in the comment - sorry that i do not know the answers to your questions. I am not expert on this, nor do i work for SG government. I am only a SG PR like you who did the driving licence conversion years ago (and lost it recently with my wallet, but had it replaced and mailed to me in less than a month).

I think the best is for you to check out the website of Singapore Traffic Police:

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/services/driving_in_singapore/information_drivinglicence.htm

Or call them up to find out the details.

Hi all..

Just to share updates. i went back hometown in NS and take the "Conversion letter". The counter girl tell me that my MY license will be blacklisted if i convert. I tell the girl, need to cari makan, so what to do..

Need to fill up the conversion form, 1 photostat ic , driving license (with Picture) and another 1 with the validity length. After wait for 10- 15 minutes, the letter was done. The counter girl also tell me if gagal, must give back the letter so that i can revoke the blacklist..or if i wants to convert back..Paid RM10 for the letter..

SG procedure will be the same as listed in the major websites. Good Luck to all

Hi all, im going to convert my license soon as well, and this post is really useful to me.

to clarify the "Can Malaysian Holding SG Driving license drive in Malaysia" doubt, i found this useful document from JPJ.

Link: http://portal.jpj.gov.my/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=47&Itemid=36
(Buku KPK 17.4MB)

>click Agree and download it.
>Read the statement from JPJ at Page 112.
>>"Semasa memiliki lesen memandu Singapura, pemegang
lesen berkenaan boleh memandu kenderaan yang didaftar
di negara ini atau didaftarkan di Singapura di Malaysia.
BAHAGIAN 2
KESALAHAN-KESALAHAN MEMANDU DAN
HUKUMAN-HUKUMANNYA DI BAWAH AKTA
PENGANGKUTAN JALAN 1987
DAN
KAEDAH-KAEDAH DI BAWAHNYA
(RTR1959)
1. PENDAHULUAN
Bahagian ini mengandungi jenis-jenis kesalahan memandu
dan hukuman-hukuman yang dikenakan keatas penggunapengguna
jalan raya yang didapati melanggar peraturanperaturan
di bawah Akta Pengangkutan Jalan 1987 dan
Kaedah-kaedah di bawahnya (Road Transport Rules 1959).
Jenis-jenis kesalahan dan hukuman adalah seperti berikut:
AKTA PENGANGKUTAN JALAN 1987
(AKTA 333) DAN KAEDAH-KAEDAH
LALULINTAS JALAN 1959
112"


I have called JPJ and ask them “Malaysian hold the Singapore license can drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia?”

The answer is “Yes”, when we drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia we need bring the Singapore license and together SPR ID, S pass, EP or Work Permit.

I have my convertion done in year 2003 and I managed to extent my Malaysia driving license in Kota Kinabalu Jpj from 2006/2011 . now my Malaysia license had expired, I was wondering why I can renew my license in 2006?

Very good sharing. Thanks ya ^_^

Hi, need help on the form

"At JPJ, you gotta submit a form (to be obtained at JPJ) together with photocopies of your Singapore NRIC (or other passes such as Employment Pass), Malaysian driving licence and Malaysian IC."

Can I know if this is the form in the following link - form JPJL1??

http://portal.jpj.gov.my/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=36&lang=ms

Thanks...

Thanks for the info! Just got the temporary slip today!!!

Hi there.. do you know if we could "reactivate" our Msia license after our PR expires?

I was going to apply for international driver license and the Sg site states that S'porean/PR who have given up their citizenship are not allowed to apply for international driver license. So I am stuck now and not sure how to proceed to get my international driver license....

Hi I has passed my basic theory test and had converted to a Singapore Citizenship.
Can I still get the letter from JPJ as I had surrender my Blue IC to Embassy of Malaysia in Singapore?

June

*Nice and useful info here, i do have Malaysia car & bike driving license. My concern are; i am in the mid of taking Malaysia B-full motorcycle license. Thus, now i panning to convert my license to a Singapore driving license and should i precede my Malaysia B-full lesson as i have paid RM500.00?

Questions:

1. Will both my Malaysia car and bike license will be converted to Singapore license once i pass my basic theory test?

2. After i converted my Malaysia license to Singapore license, can i convert it back to Malaysia license when im not working in Singapore later?

Thank you :)

Background
-I am a SPR malaysian, converted my license in 2011
-I am buying my first (2nd hand) car in MY, the transfer of name is to be done tomorrow
-i realized i am blacklisted when trying to renew my license last week

Questions
1. can I registered a MY car while kena blacklisted, BUT having a Sg license
2. can I drive this/other MY car using my Sg license
3. If I were to renounce my SPR, I have to convert back to MY before the cancellation of the Sg license


-I have logged my comment before. I have called JPJ and ask them “Malaysian hold the Singapore license can drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia?”

-The answer is “Yes”, when we drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia we need bring the Singapore license and together SPR ID, S pass, EP or Work Permit.


-You can convert back from SG license to MY license. Onece you renounce SPR.

-I have logged my comment before. I have called JPJ and ask them “Malaysian hold the Singapore license can drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia?”

-The answer is “Yes”, when we drive Malaysia’s register car in Malaysia we need bring the Singapore license and together SPR ID, S pass, EP or Work Permit.


-You can convert back from SG license to MY license. Onece you renounce SPR.



Singapore driving license can be used in Malaysia --> http://portal.jpj.gov.my/en/pengiktirafan-lesen-memandu-negara-asing

Hi everyone, need help here.

I've my Extract of Driving License Records but end-up rejected by SSDC due to no JPJ chop & signature. I went back to the JPJ Penang but they refuse to do it.
Can I just re-extract again from other JPJ?




You cannot re-issue. From the moment you issued the extract, your license has been 'blacklisted' temporarily. I have the same problem. I went to JPJ in Johor with my current JPJ extract and just asked them to chop. Remember to bring your receipt along. p.s: JPJ Penang don't have the chop so don't bother going back Penang. It's weird i know. Only Johor has the chop.

Share your cogitation



Wednesday, February 15, 2006 @ 2:45 am: It's Valentine's Day
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 @ 2:05 am: The termination of the use of Restricted Passports
Monday, February 13, 2006 @ 3:57 am: My new blog
Friday, February 10, 2006 @ 3:04 am: A dinner with an old friend
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 @ 2:46 am: My outdated Christmas gift
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 @ 3:26 am: Chinese astrology
Monday, February 06, 2006 @ 2:39 pm: Back to work
Friday, February 03, 2006 @ 7:04 am: The five days of CNY and my birthday
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 @ 5:53 am: Why 1975 was a good year
Sunday, January 29, 2006 @ 4:58 am: A quiet Chinese New Year's Eve