I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A visit to the dentist

It has been two years since my last visit to a dentist and my teeth really needed a thorough cleaning. Not only that but my wisdom teeth have been giving me problems as well. The two wisdom teeth on my lower jaw are horizontally impacted and affecting the neighbouring teeth. The advice from my last dentist was to remove the neighbouring teeth, which are showing sign of decay. He said that removing the neighbouring teeth are just normal tooth extraction, whereas removing the wisdom teeth would involve more risk because it's an oral surgery. I didn't heed his advice and decided to get a second opinion.

And the second opinion came years later, which was yesterday. I left office earlier to see a dentist at Jurong East, recommended by one of my colleagues. As it was my first visit there and i didn't ask for any specific doctor, they assign a female dentist to me. Some colleagues had actually advised me to get a male dentist, as they claimed that female dentist may not have enough strength to remove the wisdom teeth and may thus prolong the surgical time. Anyway, it was too late and i felt inappropriate to request for a change of dentist based on gender.

After the x-ray, the dentist said it would be best for me to remove both the lower wisdom teeth. Since the one on the left lower jaw seemed to be in worse condition, we decided to take that out first. I then asked her about all the horror stories that i had heard about damaged nerves after the removal of wisdom teeth. She told me that risk is involved in every medical procedure even for small operations, and thus i would be required to sign a consent form before the surgery. However, the x-ray showed that there was a safe distance between my wisdom tooth and the nerve so the risk is minimal. I figured that this is a risk worth taking to prevent further damage to the neighbouring teeth.

Anyway, i've arranged for the operation on next Monday 4pm. I would be given 5 days of medical leave after the operation, and frankly, that was part of the reasons why i wanna do it now so that i don't have to go to work.

Now i just hope that the procedure would go smoothly and there won't be any post-operation complications. I'm always nervous whenever i visit a dentist. Even yesterday when she was doing the scaling and polishing, i was clenching my fists all the way. Hope i won't pass out at the sight of the surgical equipment on the day of the operation.  

Labels: ,

5 days mc.. ooo... but is it all paid for?

I can claim for dental benefits from my employer for my visit yesterday. As for the wisdom tooth removal operation, i was told that it's claimable under Medisave.

Share your cogitation



Monday, June 05, 2006 @ 2:16 pm: The past weekend
Friday, June 02, 2006 @ 1:57 am: I'm troubled
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 @ 12:44 pm: Job hunting
Monday, May 29, 2006 @ 12:18 pm: The past weekend
Friday, May 26, 2006 @ 1:46 pm: Stupid income tax e-filing
Thursday, May 25, 2006 @ 1:07 am: My boyfriend is an X-Man
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 @ 12:49 pm: A friend's wedding
Saturday, May 20, 2006 @ 3:12 am: A free new toy
Friday, May 19, 2006 @ 2:48 am: Trivia of my uneventful day
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 @ 12:19 pm: Ant bites