I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A news at work

One of my colleagues was promoted to manager, as what i've heard earlier. An email was sent out over the weekend and we read about the news first thing on Monday morning.

I understand from the lady manager that it was her who proposed to our bosses in promoting internally instead of hiring from outside. She was also the one who recommended this colleague instead of another to be promoted. I've always known that our bosses trusted this lady manager very much, but the extend of influence was clearly demonstrated in this incident.

Let's not talk about whether or not this colleague has the right skills and knowledge to be in this position, as i don't have the IT infrastructure knowledge nor know him well enough to judge. And perhaps it's also unfair to judge just based on the incident of his inability to control and resolve the virus attack. I do feel bad, however, for another colleague who has worked longer than him and who is already an AM (while the one who was promoted was originally just a System Analyst). How that AM would feel when there's finally a chance to move upwards, he, the next in line, was passed over for someone who was lower in rank? I might have quit if it were to happen to me.

Oh, and talk about the virus attack. I manually ran the Windows Update in my workstation yesterday and saw that there were 70+ critical updates not applied. I was appalled! 贝 said this is almost like no updates had been applied since XP-SP2. Unbelievable. And to think that they were faulting the anti-virus company for not able to protect our network from the virus attack. I wonder if they know that having anti-virus software without applying the Windows updates is like wearing a condom poked with holes during sex; it's as good as having no protection at all.

Anyway, it's not my area of responsibilities and i probably should just keep my mouth shut lest some people are offended. After all, what do i know about IT infrastructure. I should just leave the things to the experts.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Monday, March 26, 2007 @ 3:06 am: The past weekend
Friday, March 23, 2007 @ 3:02 am: Random update
Thursday, March 22, 2007 @ 1:15 am: Away on company retreat
Monday, March 19, 2007 @ 3:56 am: Virus fighting week
Thursday, March 15, 2007 @ 4:56 am: System's still down
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 @ 3:25 am: System's down
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 @ 4:17 am: Virus
Monday, March 12, 2007 @ 4:11 am: I have a witty boss
Friday, March 09, 2007 @ 3:26 am: Strike out with golfing
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 @ 3:54 am: A disappointing film