I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Monday, November 13, 2006

An ex-employer

It happened again last night -- i had a bad headache and threw up after dinner. So i took Panadol and went to bed at around 9pm. Woke up this morning still feeling unwell and we gotta call off our plan of golfing today. It rained in the evening again so we couldn't have gone golfing anyway.

There's nothing particularly interesting in my life lately except work (hmm, i guess that makes me pretty pathetic). While pushing myself to pick up the knowledge in the new job, the project that i'm involved in is also under tight schedule. Everyday was planned with some project-related activities and i just kept on postponing the induction program. I've only met up with five Directors/Manages so far and there are still many more to go. The problem is that i don't think i'll have the time to do it with my days all booked up till next month. Fortunately, the work assigned to me is still contained within the working hours and i can still knock off on time everyday.

I hope to say that i'm lagging in my blog updates due to my work, but the fact is that it's simply plain laziness of my part. I still wanna finish up on my travel log on my Kuching trip (which happened more than two months ago), and i also wanna complete a short story that i was writing half-way for my Chinese blog. Just that the longer i procrastinate, the less motivation i have to continue with it.

Anyway, for today, i just wanna write about what happened last Thursday that prompted me to think about something in the past.

I attended the training at my ex work place. I got to know that many of the ex-colleagues had left the company, including two who joined the company together with me. My ex-boss gave me a treat to beef noodles during lunch and we had a good chat. He has been trying to persuade me in re-joining the company but i just don't feel like going back to solution centers. He said he would continue trying and hoped that i could give it a thought.

It was kinda amazing how things turned out sometimes. Never did i expect that this ex-boss of mine and i could be friends after all that had happened. This proves that there's no forever enemy in this world (nor friends for that matter).

Two years ago, i had a great battle with the company when i wanted to leave. It was my first job in IT when i switched from business field and just completed my MSc studies. I joined the company under a government program and signed a three-year bond with the company. After working there for more than a year, i felt that the job fell short of my expectation and i felt cheated and shortchanged. I had two choices at that time: i could either tolerate for two years until the end of the bond, or find another job and leave.

When i first took up this job, i was under the impression that the boss would be willing to release me if i had at least fulfilled the first year of the contract. That was what he had been saying all the while. So i made my choice and found myself another job. But then, after i tendered my resignation, things turned ugly. It got so bad that i even consulted lawyers and lost many nights of sleep over the whole fiasco. In the end, all parties got what we wanted and we parted amicably, after many bad moments that is.

The ironic thing was of course that one month after i joined the other company (i.e. my previous company), the corruption case broke out and i was then stuck for two years because the remaining of the bond was transferred to that company. So frankly, even until today, i'm not sure if i had made the right choice.

Then the more ironic thing was that right after i joined my current company, there were news on my previous company about getting into an investment with a huge MNC, and a news on my current company about not meeting the projected profit due to the unforeseen situation in Thailand. I can't help but to think that i'm probably an unlucky person.

Anyway, i do my best not to look back and feel regretful over the choices i've made over the years. I wouldn't be where i am today if it were not for all those choices, right or wrong. I'm not sure if where i am today is indeed good or what i wanted, but i would think it's a step forward in my life. And i guess that's all that matter for now, that is to move forward in life, no matter how small the step may be.

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Thursday, November 09, 2006 @ 3:49 am: An exciting new job
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 @ 3:32 am: Stress and toothache
Monday, November 06, 2006 @ 4:26 am: The past weekend
Friday, November 03, 2006 @ 3:51 am: The new colleagues and new boss
Thursday, November 02, 2006 @ 3:23 am: First day at work
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 @ 3:52 am: Getting ready for tomorrow
Saturday, October 28, 2006 @ 4:06 am: The last day at work
Friday, October 27, 2006 @ 4:15 am: One more day to go
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 @ 6:06 pm: A farewell to an erstwhile friend
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 @ 3:38 am: Counting down