I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Friday, August 18, 2006

Another wisdom teeth removal surgery

The surgery went well and i didn't feel much pain, though the wound is still bleeding slightly as this very moment.

Before the operation, i had a hefty lunch at Jurong Point. I stuffed myself silly with nachos, sausage, grilled chicken, and milk shake at Billy Bombers, where everything was served in gigantic portion. The food there was really good, especially the milk shake.

I arrived at the dental clinic just five minutes before my appointment time, but the oral surgeon wasn't there yet. He was late and arrived 20 minutes later. This time around, 贝 didn't accompany me into the consultation room.

I'm not sure if it's because of the milk shake that i've had (which i considered as one of those happy food), i didn't feel as nervous as the first round. I was still a bit panicky of course, being the timid person that i am, but at least i wasn't trembling all over. I was still a bit shaky though when signing the consent form, and wrongly wrote down my Malaysia IC number instead of Singapore NRIC number because i wasn't thinking right.

The whole procedure was similar to the first time, except that the surgeon blindfolded me with a surgical mask. He told me that it was just to protect my eyes from the strong light above me. I guess that kinda helped me to calm down too since i couldn't see all the scary surgical equipment.

The operation only took 20 minutes to complete, so much faster compared to the first one. A male doctor does indeed has more force than a female doctor, as i could feel that he pulled out the teeth more easily with lesser drilling and attempts. However, i do feel that the female dentist, though with lesser physical strength, was more gentle. I think i got an ulcer from this operation because the surgeon might have caused a small cut at the inner cheek. So my conclusion is that dentists of each gender have their own strength and one isn't necessarily better than the others.

After the lower wisdom tooth was removed, the surgeon checked the adjacent tooth and told me that it has a big cavity at the side where the naughty wisdom tooth used to lean against it. Here's an illustration of the teeth:

My left wisdom tooth that was horizontally impacted and pushed against the adjacent tooth. The red line is the nerve.


He said dental filling is needed for this tooth after the gum has healed completely, which will probably be a few months later. I asked him if the tooth at the right side would have similar cavity too since the wisdom tooth was also horizontally impacted, he said if the last dentist didn't check it for me last time, then i would have to take an x-ray of it to know now.

Oh man, i really regretted for not removing both these two stupid wisdom teeth when they first erupted and waited for so long until the adjacent teeth were so much affected. Like i said before, i've never had any tooth removed before, nor any dental fillings, nor any types of surgery. Who knew that after 31 years, i finally have to undergo two surgeries to remove not one, but four teeth, and also to have dental fillings, all done in a year! Gosh, what a year this is!

As to whether or not my nerves were still intact, i won't know until a few days later. I think it was ok though, as i don't really feel the numbness anymore. But then, i'm taking pain killers so what i feel may not be accurate.

Oh, and i was given six days of medical leave instead of five, which means that i'll resume working only on next Wednesday. But the surgery this time cost me SGD1k+, and i was told that the maximum claimable amount under Medisave for oral surgery is SGD800. So i gotta scoop out more money this time.  

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Thursday, August 17, 2006 @ 1:53 am: I need all the luck
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 @ 2:34 am: Dad, please stay
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 @ 11:29 pm: No medical leave for me
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 @ 3:31 pm: Non-working week again
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 @ 2:49 am: Update on the job offer
Monday, August 14, 2006 @ 3:31 am: Broken jade pendent
Sunday, August 13, 2006 @ 10:49 pm: I'm back, but upset
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 @ 2:12 am: Update on the fly
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 @ 2:54 am: Busy busy busy
Saturday, August 05, 2006 @ 2:51 am: My references were my angels